He is No Fool

     I just finished watching a movie about Irena Sendler; a Polish social worker during WWII. She rescued 2,500 Jewish children. Watching the stories of courageous men and women, faced with possible death at every turn, being tortured- and yet withstanding- this, my friends, causes me to tremble. 

     I tremble for myself, and for the world today. I know God gives the strength that we need, but, oh brothers and sisters! If we are not strengthening ourselves, and preparing ourselves by memorization of the Word, spending time with Him in prayer, and seeking to follow Him in the little things, how will we ever face anything harder than a flat tire, or a runny nose? I can complain of the traffic, getting up early, feeling tired at the end of the day, having a cold, etc, etc. My complaints are so petty compared to the world around us.

     I don’t mean to make light of true sorrows and trials in life; God has ordained all for its purpose and will give us each the strength that is needed, if we seek His face. But when I think of the fact that persecution is promised- Do I even remember to pray for the persecuted around the world? Am I so invincible, in my world of comfort and ease that I think I need not my Savior? He has not said that I, myself, have overcome the world, rather He says of Himself, “take heart, I have overcome the world.” 

     My hope can be in naught but Him, and if my hope is truly found in Him, ought I not to be overwhelmed and on my knees before Him with every breathe? I am ashamed of how little time I truly spend in prayer- God forgive me! - Yes, there is grace, but it is a costly grace indeed, for it “bids a man come and die.” (Bonhoeffer) To die to myself, to my desires, my ideas of comfort and security. 

       What does a life of death to self look like? I pray to God that I may yet know, by His grace, what it is to die every day for the sake of His name. I tremble too, for in saying that I am willing to die, I must face the consequences of my choice. “For me to live is Christ, to die is gain.”Those consequences seem so small when written down, an early morning, an outpouring of being focused on others, a generosity when one feels unwilling. Kindness, in place of irritation. Gentleness in the place of harshness. 

      Who knows how God will use a life that is yielded to Him? Perhaps nothing that seems remarkable to this world, but dear saint, persevere- He is working for our good, and His glory.  


He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep; to gain that which he cannot lose.” 
-Jim Elliott-

Comments