Political Turmoil and a Heavenly Citizenship




         It has only been in recent years that I have begun to pay attention to politics. As we have entered into 2020, I find myself trying to listen to the variety of discussions that are taking place as I prepare for my first time voting in a presidential election. My heart is burdened for the condition of my earthly country. I know that the political tensions will only continue to rise, and the slander will only become more disgusting. There is such hatred between the different parties and viewpoints, one man’s opinion is enough to land them in a dung heap of social media disdain and abuse. 

      Regrettably, hatred and scare tactics are nothing new to our country. Do you remember hearing about the days of tar and feathers? Think about the loyalists in the days of the Revolutionary War - They had no guarantee that their homes would not be torched, they couldn’t express their opinion freely when they were amongst patriots, they were at risk of being coated in hot tar, and caked in feathers. What was the object of this crude torture? To humiliate and abuse. 

        The same line of thought rings true through just about every conflict that I can think of at the moment! One side thinks that they are right, and they resort to ridiculing the other side by any means possible. Christian, this is not we have been called to! What does 1 Corinthians 13 speak of? Even in our private circles of like-mindedness, let us be sure that our speech is filled with love, gentleness, kindness, and patience. Scripture tells us that the world ought to know that we are Christians because of our love if the world was to be a fly on the wall, observing all my conversations - as pertains to the post, particularly in my political conversations - would they hear words of respect and love, or would they hear mockery? 


"Let all that you do be done in love."

1 Corinthians 16:14

       So, often I can catch myself slipping into disdain for individuals holding to an opinion that I disagree with, I feel my blood boil at unjust accusations that litter the internet, and I speak hastily to condemn a particular politician or public figure merely because of their point of view. Don’t get me wrong, I firmly believe that we should have an opinion, we need to stand up for what we believe is right while taking heed to make knowledge acceptable. Let’s not come laden with our tar and feathers, determining to destroy someone’s values and thoughts. Cowards react like bullies, but those who know what they believe should not fear to have intelligent conversations, nor should they fear to become acquainted with those of differing walks of life and varying perspectives.

 “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 
-Atticus Finch-

       The most effective speakers do not win an audience by shouting abuses, but by presenting information in a pleasant and winsome manner. There are some things that I think we should maintain more resilience in than others. When God’s law is clearly being broken and innocent people are being hurt, there is certainly a time to keep speaking, but even still - those words must be prudently spoken with civility and honor for a fellow human being. As frustrating as it may be, bear in mind that we as believers cannot expect sin to be appalling to non-believers, and remember - but for the grace of God, there go I!

       Civic duty is certainly important, but we are not citizens of this country for very long. As believers, our citizenship is in a better country where God is, we are only journeying here for a little longer. The things of the Kingdom of Heaven are the only ones that will last. The unbeliever too is just passing away. This should spur us on to be preaching the gospel with equal, and greater, vigor than that which we exert in upholding our “rights.” 

       Do I make myself inaccessible to those in need of truth because of the way that they have heard me speak of others with whom I disagree? May it never be.

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.”‭‭
1 Corinthians‬ ‭13:1‬ ‭

‬‬“But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.”‭‭
1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57-58‬ ‭

‬‬“For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭10:4-5‬ ‭

"So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13:13‬ ‭

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” 
John 16:33

Comments