COVID-19, My Sin, and our Faithful High Priest




Philippians 2:1-11 
“So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

~~~~~~~
I realized something today, I have allowed myself to embrace pride under the guise of righteous indignation. God, forgive me! My words have not been uplifting, I have chosen not to see the people that God has put in my life as children of God. This is not glorifying to God, edifying to the body, nor exemplifying the love of Christ to unbelievers. 
I have been quick to think the worst of others, I have been focused upon how I “feel” or how others “make me feel”, thus justifying and indulging my selfish attitude. 
~~~~~~~
James 3:4-10
“Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.
How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.”

Lord, have mercy on me - a sinner.

Philippians 2:14
“Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.”
~~~~~~~
I have been unwilling to see the best in people, choosing only to focus on my grievances, choosing to speak ill and not good. I have withheld love when it was within my power to bestow it, all for the sake of my own pride. 
I have not been living in a manner worthy of the gospel. 
I blush to think of how self-focused my thoughts and words have been, how easily I have reacted with irritation, and how quickly I have succumbed to worrying about what others think.
I read the articles, hear the conversations, see the hysteria sweeping across the world, and feel the fear rising in my own heart as we witness the rise of the COVID-19 virus. Here I am, calling myself a believer, and yet, where has my hope been placed? 

It shook me a bit to see how easily I fell into fear.

To top it off, I then recognized my sinful attitude - I almost slipped, I almost fell, but God is faithful to uphold His children:

Psalm 73:2, 23-26
“But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled,
my steps had nearly slipped.”
“Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

I have said to others, and reminded myself of the following passage:

Philippians 4:4-9
“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”

Despite my reading this verse, and seeking to find comfort in it, I was failing to see how I was disobeying the very words that I was repeatedly reading. Thanks be to God for His faithfulness, and the working of the Holy Spirit. 

Colossians 3:1-3
“If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.”

Colossians 3:12-17
“Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one anther and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”

So, my friends, I have sinned against the holy God of all creation, and yet:

1 John 2:1-2
“My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin; we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.”
~~~~~~~
I have been bothered by my reaction to this virus, I have been fearful, yes, but I have also been irritated with the closing of businesses or events simply because of my own preferences and conveniences. Wow, what depth of selfishness I have within my heart! How can I ever expect myself to be able to face the slightest persecution if I get annoyed with the “travesty” of having to order my coffee in the drive-through and not actually go inside the cafe?

2 Corinthians 12:9
"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

2 Timothy 2:13
“if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.”

Hebrews 4:12-16
“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
~~~~~~~
The beauty of not walking this journey of faith alone is that God is faithful to teach His children, we won't be shaken when He is our fortress, the Good Shepherd knows His own and no one can take them from His hand.
John 10:27-30 
“ My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.”

Hebrews 13:14-16 
“For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”

~~~~~~~


Offer a sacrifice of praise;
Rejoice always;
Pray without ceasing;
Give thanks in all circumstances;
For this is the will of God for you!
His commands do not change just because I “had a bad day,”
just as His faithfulness does not waver in the face of my sin.

His mercies are new every morning, blessed be the name of the Lord!

Let us press on then in the love of Christ, praying for our leaders as they make decisions, obeying their mandates (whether we like them or not!) remembering that Paul commanded the Romans under the reign of Nero:

Romans 13:1
“Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.”

In His wisdom, God has ordained this time for His purpose and His glory.

Romans 8:28 
“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”

Romans 12:9-13
“Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit,g serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.”

Romans 12:1-2
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”
~~~~~~~
In this time of turmoil in the world, may we as the Body of Christ be set apart by the serenity that surrounds us, and the love that we have for one another. I obviously have not been a good example of this - However, 
Lamentations 3:22-23
“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”

Joshua 1:9
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” 

John 16:33
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

We have no need to fear condemnation for our sins, our great High Priest intercedes on our behalf, proclaiming that our debt has been paid.
~~~~~~~
Hebrews 10:11-14 
“And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.”
~~~~~~~

We have no need to fear the chaos that is overwhelming this world.
We know that our God reigns, we know that none of this catches Him by surprise. 
We are weak, but He is strong. 
He knows our failings, the blood of the Lamb prevails. 
He sees our trembling, He upholds us with His righteous right hand.
He sees our overwhelmedness, He has promised that He will be with us in the midst.

Hebrews 10:19-24
“ Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,”
~~~~~~~
In a flood of unknowns, of fears, of annoyances, brothers and sisters, may the world see the church rise up in confidence and not trembling.
May they wonder at the hope that we have within us
May they glorify Christ because of our witness. 
Our confidence does not rest in isolation or quarantine (though we take common sense precautions, not only for the sake of common sense, but also as a means of respecting the governing authorities, but also loving our neighbor.)
Our confidence does not rest in modern medicine (though we are immensely grateful for it, and for those who are diligently laboring in that field!)
Our confidence rests in Jesus Christ, our Risen Savior.

Come what may, good or bad, blessed be the name of the Lord!
~~~~~~~
Hebrews 12:1-3
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Hebrews 13:20-21
“Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.”

Comments