The Peace of God


Philippians 4:6-7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."


Oh my soul, why are you anxious? Hope in God! 

The God who never leaves nor forsakes has made Himself known to me, there should be no reason for me to fear. Perhaps I have not all the answers that I desire, but the God who holds the universe knows the good plans that He has for me. 

In the midst of the plaintive cries of a trembling soul, He has yet again proven Himself faithful to make His voice heard - 

Psalm 3
"O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me; many are saying of my soul, [The fear creeps in]
'There is no salvation or him in God.' [The lie] 
But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. [The truth]
 I cried aloud to the LORD, [The source of truth]
and He answered me from His holy hill, I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the LORD sustained me. [The response of the One who always hears] 
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around. Arise, O LORD! Save me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked. Salvation belongs to the LORD; your blessing be on your people." [Confidence restored by the grace of God, because of who He is.]

Silence can be terrifying, like a child left alone in the dark, wondering if he will always be alone.

The unknown looms ahead, full of foreboding - what if a mistake is made? 

The sacred consolation that my debt is paid in full is too wonderful for me - Can it really be true, that the confidence that angels long to understand, is granted to lowly me? 

Ephesians 1:3-5
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love, He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will,"

Ephesians 2:19-22
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In Him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit."

I have fallen so very short of the glory of God. The people-pleasing, ever-striving, trying-to-be-good-enough side of me blushes with shame at the thought of coming to God and expecting Him to teach me from His word if I have forsaken the prioritization of being in His word daily. The lies are whispered,
 "Surely He will wish He never chose you."

"He will hide Himself from you.'

"How can you even call yourself His child?"

"You fool, you are not worthy to even attempt to call upon Him, you will only fail again."

Then the blessed truth speaks louder, from the pages of His word:

1 John 2:1-2
"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world."

Hebrews 4:14-16
"Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." 

O this confidence, O this glorious hope! 

Ephesians 2:4-10
"But God being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God  prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me."

2 Corinthians 12:9
"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 

The Good Shepherd knows how to keep His own, He doesn't begrudge me His love as I so frequently fear, no indeed:

John 10:27-28
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand."

Zephaniah 3:17
"The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing."

Psalm 139:6
"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it."

Psalm 16:9-11
"Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence, there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." 

In this world there will be struggles, there will be unknowns, there will be sorrows. 
It is not courage that never struggles but that which perseveres in the midst. It is not faith that never doubts, but that which persists for hope of that which is yet to come. Take heart!

Philippians 3:19-21
"Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like His glorious body, by the power that enables Him even to subject all things to Himself."

By His grace and the enabling power of His Holy Spirit, I'll bind on that blessed belt of truth by the renewing of my mind:

Philippians 4:8-9
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Psalm 42:5-6a
"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God."


Comments