Childish Clamorings and Our Patient Father

 


I was listening to the Pure Doctrine podcast this morning, hosted by a friend, Mike Williamson, (Genesis...Trouble in the Garden) the passage that he references in the podcast recalled to mind a humbling realization.

"Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?”  And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”"
                                                                           Genesis 2:1-5

Like Adam and Eve, the desire for what we cannot have is ingrained in us from childhood, isn't it?

As a little child reaching for the electrical outlet simply for being told that they oughtn't. It is an interesting contemplation, if you are careful to be self-aware, to watch a child with their parent. You occasionally encounter a child who implicitly trusts their parents as wiser than themselves, and they clearly desire to please their parents through obedience - but inevitably, and more frequently, you have the child who, upon hearing that some trinket or location is strictly forbidden, promptly becomes thoroughly consumed with desire for that forbidden "pleasure". 

It never seems to cross the child's mind that the object of their zealous striving could be harmful to them. Rather, the only consuming thought is that they are being denied something that they want, something that, in that moment, they need for their happiness. All the while, the child is surrounded by cheery toys, a sippy cup filled with fresh milk, a plate of half eaten snacks, more than the child even needs, all faithfully provided from the hand of their loving parent. 

The illustration takes me aback a bit - How frequently I am that child, exhibiting that same pattern of behavior that befuddles and frustrates parents daily!

I cry out to my heavenly Father in anger and frustration and sorrow over that which I do not have. Forgetting the multitude of His good gifts that He has bestowed so faithfully upon me, forgetting that He delights to give good gifts to His children. Forgetting that He sees me, He sees my needs, He sees my heart, He sees my situation - and He cares for me. 

Oh, my Lord, how I have behaved towards you! Not in contented trust, but in arrogant clamoring, thinking that I know what is best for me. 

That which I desire seems so good and right in my eyes - and it may be a good and right desire - but the fact that God has withheld it for this time is not to be resented, but to be trusted implicitly and completely, because it is not in what I have that my joy and contentment are found - but in my gracious and trustworthy Father.

How frequently my desire for that which is not mine pulls my away from my loving Father, turns my heart from gratitude, and wickedly consumes me with my own desires and passions.

My problem in life is not with a situation that I am in, a person that I "put up" with, whether or not I like the occupation that busies my days, or any number of external circumstances. In any circumstance, there will always be something more or different that I want, or think that I "need". 

My problem lies within me - The core of my being - the desire to please myself, and believing the lie that I can satisfy myself by my own means outside of Christ.

Praise the Lord for His bountiful mercy that saw my wretched state, my hatred of God, my constant sinning - And even still, chose to call me to Himself and make me His child. What wonder, what a marvel - The Holy King of kings condescended to place His love upon me in such a way, His patience is incredible, He never tires of teaching and training and consistently loving His own.

As the good and loving Father, He is faithful to redirect my gaze from that which I want, to Him that I need, and in so doing He provides over and abundantly more than I could ever think of or ask. Truly, in His presence there is fullness of joy, and at His right hand are pleasures forevermore. 

Praise the Lord, oh praise the Lord with me! Let us exalt His name forever. His love, His kindness, His mercies - They endure forever, they are steadfast, and they are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness! 





Comments